A coupling is a device used to connect two shafts together at their ends for the purpose of transmitting power. MPT Drives coupling product line can offer a solution to almost any need. We can provide a coupling with the potential to increase torque capacity, accommodate shaft misalignment, extend life, and put an end to unexpected downtime.
Types of Couplings We Offer
We offer many types of coupling solutions that include:
- Probably the most common type of coupling
- Can be used at motor speed
- Consists of two coupling halves and an insert
- Inserts can be made of Rubber, Bronze, Hytrel, Urethane, among other materials depending on the amount of mis-alignment or torque to be transmitted
- Used in higher torque application
- Can accommodate larger bore sizes
- Several different versions and variations available
- Grid couplings use two slotted hubs with a steel grid running between them to transmit torque.
- Grid couplings are available in horizontal and vertical styles.
- The grid coupling flexes by allowing the grid to slide along the slots in the hubs.
- Grid couplings are noted for reducing vibration, absorbing shock and compensating for misalignment.
- The flexible nature of the spring-like grid absorbs impact energy by spreading it out over time, thus reducing the magnitude of the peak loads.
- As the load increases, more tooth from the gear comes into contact with the grid, thus supplying superior protection and supreme performance.
- Grid couplings are fully interchangeable between manufacturers.
- The grid coupling is simple to install and maintain.
- Chain couplings are utilized to transmit power between two shafts.
- Generally, chain couplings will be installed off the end of a motor or reducer (gearbox), and be utilized to connect to a machine for efficient power transmission.
- A complete chain coupling consists of two hubs (or sprockets), one coupling chain, which appears similar to a strand of double roller chain, and a cover.
- It is recommended to install covers for safety purposes, and to increase the coupling’s service life.
- Chain couplings are normally utilized in low speed, high torque applications, and allow for 2 degrees misalignment between shafts.
- Chain couplings are considered an economical way to transmit power between shafts.
The sales representative at MPT Drives, Inc., will assist you in designing the right coupling for your application. You can contact us via phone at (248) 585-9700, or email us at email@example.com.